Wednesday 17 July 2013

Scarlett Jade Interview

We had the absolute honour of having a chin-wag with a friend of BR and what an awesome chick she is. We love her just as much as her books.

Scarlett Jade everyone   

Were you any good at English in School?
Absolutely. It was my favorite subject. :) I was always Teacher's Pet. I was a pain in school. Think Hermione... That was me.

When did you realise you wanted to become a writer
I started writing a horrible story with a friend when I was ten. I ended up doing all the work. Everyone died in the story and I remember loving how I could warp reality in my little story and make things happen. I had always loved to read and this just made reading come alive in a different way for me.

What is your all-time favourite book?
My absolute favorite book is The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd... Or maybe Matilda by Roald Dahl.

If you could be a character from a book, who would you be? Why?
I would be Lily Owens, from the Secret Life of Bees. I grew up in an abusive home like she did, and she left. She had a new life with people who loved her. I ended up doing the same, just much later in life than she did.

Who/what was the influence behind Beautiful Downfall?
The influence for Beautiful Downfall came from a book that literally fell on my foot at the library. It was so weird but I took the book home and read it anyway. It was a book about Angels and Saints. I read through pieces of it and had a dream about an angel who helped a young woman who was helplessly lost. Thus, Beautiful Downfall was born.

What soundtrack would you place with Beautiful Downfall?
Hmm... This is a tough question. One song I listened to on repeat while I wrote was “Apologies” by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. I also listened to quite a bit of “One Headlight” by the Wallflowers, “All I Wanted”  and “My Heart” by Paramore. I also loved the song “This is the Day” by Courtney Jaye, which is nearly impossible to find. It's perfect for the story.
“There's still a little sand inside of my shoes
I leave it there to keep me close to you
There's a whole other world inside me now
Full of words you can't hear
But the power of how I really feel
Is pulling you near
Its a vibration
There's no separation
We're one and the same
I don't have to be afraid
If you feel it
You might as well reveal it
Cause this is the day
Tomorrow could all be taken away
I can see the sun without the sky
But I can't see myself without your eyes” -Courtney Jaye “This is the Day”

See? Perfection.

What are you working on now?
I am working on three books. Just finishing up September Tango, I have the final part of the Just a Little Taste trilogy in the works, it will hopefully be out by Labor Day, and another little work that should be a lot of fun to write. It features a plus sized burlesque dancer. I wanted to write something sexy and empowering to women.

In 3 words, what can we expect from your upcoming book, September Tango?
Love, Hope, Faith, not to be too cliché. Love that is powerful and fast, like a summer storm, hope in the future, and faith that things will work out, even if it seems impossible.

Will it be a trilogy?
This book currently is a stand alone. My husband and I have talked about some ways it could be turned into a two part series, but at this time, we aren't sure if we will. Absolutely depends on the demand for more Calvin and Zoe!

What made you decide to collaborate with your husband, Llerxt the 13th?
He is a fantastic writer and I knew if anyone would get me, he would. He's my best friend and my biggest supporter and fan.

Is it easy to write a book with your hubby?
Yes! We work fantastically together. We are always on the same page and I can hand over a few parts for him to work on and know that with minimal work we can tie everything together and it just flow.

 Have you had any fights over decisions about the story?
No true fights, but some minor disagreements, we figured out what would be best for our characters and went with that.

Was there a hunk that influenced your first set of novella’s, the dark and sexy, Just a Little Taste?
Hmm... I see him quite a bit like a dark Paul Walker. The sweetness that Jeremy has definitely is inspired by my husband, but the little bit of bad ass is inspired quite a bit by tough guys like Vin Diesel etc. So he's a mishmash of sexy.

Can we meet him?
:p HAH! I'd love that. He'd be one hell of a guy.

What was the last book you read?
I re-read a wonderful book by Jade McCahon called “A Night at the Asylum”. I'm also working on “Night Boys in: If Looks Could Kill” by Diamant.

 In what way do you think you influence your readers?
Wow... This is a tough one. I've never really seen myself as influential. I would hope, that after they read one of my books... That maybe they feel a little more. I try to really evoke a lot of emotion in my books. Maybe they go out and grab life and love by the horns. Never know :)

 Do you plot or outline your stories before writing them? Or let the wind blow you along?
I have never written an outline in my life. It used to drive my teachers nuts, but I always came out with a great paper. I let the wind take me where it wants... It has always given me a better book.

 Book or Kindle?
 I prefer Kindle, I have arthritis from Lyme in my hands and the Kindle is lighter to hold. :)

Reading or writing?
I prefer to write, most of the time. It is hard to get me to stop. I do love to read too... Hard choice.

If you could have been the original author of any book, what would it be and why?
 I wish I had written Matilda by Roald Dahl. Fantastic Book.

Do you have any amusing writing stories to share?
I'm moderately dyslexic, so there are times I mix up words... I will be reading through my manuscript and read some awkward things... I have to read through them a lot.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
If the world tells you no and knocks you down seven times, stand up eight. Write what you feel. Paint a beautiful picture on paper with your words and you can't go wrong. Don't sell out, write what you love, and never, ever give up. 

Scarlett, you know we love you here at BR! You have been AWESOME and we have been Booky Ramblings. Thank you.

Don’t forget to check out September Tango, available 22/7/13

Want to know more about the awesome Scarlett . . . Check out her Facebook Page



No comments:

Post a Comment