Thursday 9 January 2014

Author Spotlight & Interview ~ Morgan Parker

Morgan Parker is the pen name for a shy and introverted former banker. Because he could never balance his cash at the end of the banking day, he made up stories in order to keep his job. None of those stories was Textual Encounters, which is great because readers will discover a truly unique and original romance that has never been told before.

Who is the real Morgan Parker?
5 Fun Facts

1. my wife is anti-Apple computers, so when I bought my MacBook Pro, I hid it from her for 6 months. I confessed my purchase in the presence of friends and made sure she had been drinking.

2. When I vacation, I love to cruise. Like on a ship. The buffets are abso-freaking-lutely amazing and I gain 1.5 lbs per day at sea.

3. I took a 6-month leave from my job to spend it with my son when he was an infant. The brainwashing only partially worked: while he thinks I'm the funniest man alive, he still doesn't understand that I'm supposed to win at everything, including video games. 

4. I believe that if you get a non-fat cappuccino, you're allowed to make up for those "saved" calories by eating a chocolate-chunk cookie. Apparently, my scale disagrees.

5. When I heard that something like 85% of statistics are made up on the spot, I heaved a sigh of relief because 95% of everything I say is made up on the spot. For real... in two weeks from now, if you ask me how much stuff I make up on the spot, I won't remember that I told 95% today. 

We also had the chance to pick Morgan's brains . . .

   What inspired you to become a writer?

Oh, I don’t know that I’d call myself a writer at this point. Maybe once I can do it full-time from a beach or my own private movie theatre or at 4am without worrying about how I’ll drag my butt through the next day. But for now, I’m a storyteller. And we all have stories to tell. I decided to start sharing my stories once I shared one and someone said, “This is good stuff.” 

   What did you do before you became (an awesome) author?

I’m still a banker. It’s fun for me, I meet some really great people. I love hearing people’s stories. In fact, I’ve heard the most heart-breaking love stories through my gig at the bank. In fact, one of my favourite clients introduced me to this idea of eternal love. His wife, who died 5 years ago, stll haunts him. His is an amazing love story.

   Can you tell me honestly, was Non-Friction based on any of
your own life events? Are you actually Morgan Barker . . .

Yes, I can tell you honestly that non friction was not based on any of my own life events. Experiences, yes, but not events. For example, I’ve been dumped in my day, just like Morgan was dumped, and I know that heartbreak of high-school love. I have a 4-year old daughter, just like Morgan, and I know frustrating an argument can be with her, yet seem hilarious and ridiculous long after it has happened. But while those emotional experiences were real, virtually none of the events happened. Too bad, huh?

  Who is your inspiration?

My kids are my greatest inspiration. Sounds hokey, I know, but when you consider all of the great things my kids do for me, writing a story that might just outlive me can only partially repay them for the joys they’ve brought to my life. 

   Do you prefer to watch a film or read a book?

It really depends on my mood, the amount of time I have, and what I need. For example, I’ll often allow a film to play in the background while I write, but if I find I’m having difficulty finishing a scene or story, I’ll always pick up a book (fiction or non-fiction) so get my brain working again.

  What is the last book you read?

I don’t know if I’m allowed to say this, but the last book I read was AL Zaun’s It’s Not Over, and I loved it! I’m currently reading Lisa Olsen’s The Touch and can’t get enough of Lexi. Truly can’t put it down!

  Tell us 3 random things about yourself . . .

I have a crush on Lily Allen, I love watching Top Gear, and I believe goodbyes are forever.

   Do you see your books being released in paperback in the future? (I need Non-Friction on my book shelf)

Luckily for you, non friction is available in paperback through Amazon.com! But when you buy a signed copy directly from me, you become a Morganette, which gets you access to the same cool things (like discussions, sneak peeks of material that may or may not ever be published in the future, and of course some of my work-in-progress marketing material) that my street team has and a few other unique perks throughout the year that no other writer does.

   What genre do you consider you books?

I consider my books romantic fiction. They’re not your traditional romances, however. I seem to favour broken love stories instead of the easy ones. Kinda like my broken sentences. And stuff. You know?

            What is next for Morgan Parker?

Up next is Sick Day. It’s a story about two people who make a 5-year promise before they run off to college. But because life happens, they don’t get together as planned. Until one day, years and years later, they cross paths again. The only problem… it’s two weeks before the female lead is moving far, far away with her fiancé. But before she leaves, the male lead convinces her to call in sick so she can spend the day with him. His plan is to convince her to stay behind, to stay and live with him so they can honour promise that has left them both empty and heartbroken for so many years.

               Will there be a sequel for Morgan (Barker) and Emma?

Hmm… it wasn’t planned but who knows. I liked Morgan’s twisted sense of humour… Maybe  a novella between now and Labour Day? LOL, we’ll see!

Thanks for popping over to Booky Ramblings J



Find out more: Facebook ~ Goodreads ~ Twitter


After 12 years, 4 months and 1 and 1/2 weeks of marriage, his wife packs up and leaves with their daughter. So he writes an Indie novel. And it becomes a bestseller. Well, sort of. 

His fame brings him the lifestyle of a rockstar, and he has the fan mail (i.e. female undergarments, probably clean) to prove it. 

But seeing his fame, his wife suddenly believes in marriage counseling. Their homework: to create something beautiful for each other. 

So he writes Our Story, his literary secret-weapon that will win his wife back. But in the process he discovers that true love is more than just ticking the right boxes on a checklist..

Check out our 5 star review!




Listen to Morgan Parker sharing the Prologue and Chapter 1 on Soundcloud

Other books by Morgan Parker


Buy Non-Friction Amazon UK ~ Amazon US 



No comments:

Post a Comment